Re: Topband: Beverage wire question

To: Jim Garland <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>, "Topband@contesting.com" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage wire question
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 16:08:46 +0000
The solid copper clad steel stuff will always remember its original
coiled-up-ness. Stranded stuff is not so bad for memory.

I don't have a lot of antenna wire on/near the ground, but the short lengths I
do have on/near the ground constantly have deer walking through them. I use
very skinny 22 gauge stranded, keep them tensioned with pulleys and small
amount of counterweight tension (just a few pounds of sand) and they have never
broken yet.

The copper clad steel stuff, you have to make sure it does not flex at a fixed
point. Copper clad steel will break for sure wherever it is forced to flex, it
is worse than soft copper (which will also eventually break at a forced flexure
point, but not as quick as copper clad steel). You can do OK with a loop at the
ends that can swivel in an insulator hole or a screw eye.

Take whatever wire you ever contemplate being flexed at a fixed swivel point
and just wiggle it by hand. You will decide instead to form a loop at any
swivel point. And you will also decide that copper clad steel is far more
"brittle" than soft copper.

Copper clad steel has its advantages. Flexing at fixed points without a loop
through an eyehole, is its weak point, not its strength.

You will note that where others say "it broke so I need stiffer wire at higher
tension",  I have chosen to go the other way and use skinnier flexier wire at
low tension. I know I am bucking the trend.

Tim N3QE