Re: Topband: Feedpoint of short RX vertical

To: "luc kerkhofs" <luckerkhofs@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Feedpoint of short RX vertical
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 16:02:44 -0400
When feeding short RX verticals with a coil and resistor in series, does it make sense to decouple the feedline
at the feedpoint with a braid breaker ?>>>

There is no universal answer.

The particular installation determines whether or not decoupling is necessary. Sometimes a ground rod alone is enough, and sometimes even several radials are not enough. Decoupling can help if:

1.) The ground system is marginal or poor. We do not want the coax feedline contributing signals or acting like part of the antenna.

2.) There is noise following the cable shields to the antenna

I do not decouple some of mine because the feedlines are all buried a foot deep for 160-170 feet to the center, I have several reasonably long radials on each element, and the antenna is far from any noise. Some of mine I decouple, because they are near the house and the cables are not deep buried.

73 Tom