Re: Topband: Deployable radials for 80/160M

To: rich kennedy <astro_maryland@yahoo.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Deployable radials for 80/160M
From: Jeff Woods via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:57:00 -0700

I've been doing the same thing with similar wire for several years.  It works.
 Some of my radials are even salvaged from Cat 5 cable - pretty thin, but they
do the job.  I've found they are much more rugged when deployed as twisted
pairs though.

 Lately, I've been supplementing the radials with rolls of 2 to 3 ft. wide by
50 ft long chicken wire.  The stuff is about $5 a roll at the farm supply
store.  I'll be trying it out on 80m for field day next weekend - just 6 to 8
rolls as a radial system for an HF6V multi-band vertical.  It deploys easily
and rolls up quickly.

-Jeff / W0ODS