Re: Topband: Deployable radials for 80/160M

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Deployable radials for 80/160M
From: "Zivney, Terry" <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 20:19:03 +0000
I have been  doing this for 15  years now.
Most of my radials are made from 14AWG stranded wire.
This was much cheaper in the last millennium, but
Menards generally has 500 feet spools of this for under
$50.  I put two radials into one 1/4" lug for ease of
connection in the ground system.  I coil up the radials
in the manner of coiling up a garden hose.  I fasten each
pair of radials in the coil with a couple of turns of
masking tape, which can be easily ripped when using.  I can
put down (or wind up) about 150 radials in a day of
fresh air and sunshine.  Fortunately, October and April
are great months here for such activities - not  too not
nor too  cold.

I have some radials which are  made from left over
lengths of hookup wire, between 20 and 24 AWG.
The stranded ones are easier to coil up than the solid
wire, and seem sturdier.  I generally find that a couple
of these smaller wires break each season, and
critters seem more likely to gnaw on them than
on the THHW insulation on the 14AWG.  I have never
had a problem with the 14AWG radials, and would
not hesitate to buy it again if necessary.

Menards seems much cheaper around here than
Lowes.

Terry N4TZ