Re: Topband: FD in the 60's

To: TopBand <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FD in the 60's
From: GALE STEWARD via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 18:05:38 -0700
Interesting thread!

My first FD was in 1963 as a newly minted General. The group had all wire
antennas set up top of Huntington Mt (PA). Most of the other guys were pretty
much fone ops so I got a crack at 20 & 40 CW with a Collins S-line. Thought I
was in radio heaven! The S-line was about 1000% better than what I had at home.
No keyers, just a straight key and Vibroplex bug.

I remember that 6M conditions were good. One of the ops had installed a 6M halo
(remember those?) up in a tree on this mountain. I remember them working into
KP4 with about 10W.

Good memories!

73, Stew K3ND (ex K3ZOL)