Re: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 20:14:09 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yuri Blanarovich" <k3bu@optimum.net>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:50 PM

Oh, here comes the "guru" again. :-)

Is that immature stuff really necessary?

Unnecessary debate? We are talking about experiences and RESULTS of comparing normal in land "ground" effect vs. salt water beach or marshes. We are commenting on the benefit of immediate proximity of salt water to antenna performance, especially on low angles. K3BU and others found out that it is not "feeling," but S-meter readings in order of 10 - 20 dB (RX and TX!) in favor of salty beach. It is like driving inside into the amplifier

Perhaps you can explain why VOA and others willingly gave up that 10-20 dB, and how K3LR and W3LPL do so well inland, when they pay a 10-20 dB penalty for communications?

One would think if there was a 10-20 db penalty, it would show on skimmers and that W2GD would be unbeatable being on the water. I'm sure I'm missing something. What is it I am missing?

Thanks, Tom