Re: Topband: Bias Tee Measurements (Test Data)

To: "Don Kirk" <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bias Tee Measurements (Test Data)
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 10:52:54 -0400
Tom, you said "Any test is meaningless", and I don't understand where you
are coming from on that statement.  If you look at my test, I tested with
and without the bias Tee, and I tested with a well regulated bench top
linear power supply, and the results are similar so I don't see how you can
say you can't do that.  I then went and tested with a wall wart power
supply that produced 1.5 volts peak to peak ripple when under my 100 ohm
load on the Bias Tee DC port, and it did indeed produce noisy data as you
said would happen.  I believe my test shows that you can indeed make valid
measurements as long as you are using a well regulated supply.

I understood your test to be an indictment of using an unregulated supply, and that a well regulated supply cures issues. Of course what you intended to convey and what I thought you intended to convey might be two different things. If you only meant the filtered dc (unrelated to regulation or lack of regulation) allowed a reading in that case, I agree. It allows a reading in that case, BUT it is still dangerous to use a low voltage diode test device on that line to test things.

Because it can damage test equipment, I do not think it is a valid public test protocol for the general population.

The issue is not regulation. The issue is noise or ripple making it into the analyzer port. We can run well regulated dc with ripple, or even unfiltered unregulated dc into the line and just clean it up at the relay end so the relay does not chatter, and get a valid dc test as long as test equipment is not sensitive to low frequency noise.

We could never test ac, irrespective of filtering, regulation, or waveform, without skewing measurements. This means testing a four-way system with a bias T and ac, or rippled + or - dc, or with cable ground loop ac voltage offsets on the shield, can result in false readings. It won't affect the receiver at all, but we might think the system has a problem or damage our test gear.

The best way to improve the test method and increase reliability is to make the measurement device insensitive to offset on the output. It is better to remove ground loop low frequency bias or coupling through the capacitor by making it a highpass filter for low frequencies, although I probably still would not switch the relays with my test equipment connected unless I confirmed no transients first. :-)

The problem actually comes from the reactance of the series coupling capacitor and the sensitivity of many cheap measuring devices to out of band voltages. A solution that reduces low frequency offset from external ground loops and allows ac or unfiltered dc operation, is adding a shunting choke on the RX port.

So to clarify, I am saying:

1.)  the problem is not regulation, it is noise or ripple
2.) a filtered or regulated supply does not solve the ac mode test issue
3.) switching can result in a high voltage transient that can damage test gear 4.) low frequency ground loops might still inject ripple on long cable runs, or with poor shield connections
5.) regulation will still not allow an ac switch test

There is a second caveat I have about switching high impedance lines. We have to be very careful about relay contact and wiring capacitance. Just 10 pF of contact capacitance is 8k ohms on 160 meters. We only have a coupled load to leakage path ratio of 10 times if we switch an 800 ohm line. That same leakage path to load becomes a 100 ratio if we use a transformer to 80 ohms at the switch point.

Now I absolutely understand we will see an empirical "good F/B ratio" with some pretty dismal relay isolation, and of course it will not show as an SWR issue at all. I'm not disputing switching high Z lines will still make many people happy. When I build a system, I probably look at it differently. If I could have 15-20 dB of relay isolation when switching or 30-60 dB of relay isolation, and the difference only costs a couple dollars, I'd probably give up a cheeseburger and buy the piece of mind from switching low impedance points. If the transformers were $25 dollars each, I might not do that. My cheapness might take over. :-)

Simplicity is a wonderful thing as long as the saving a few pennies does not cost us dollars of joy over time. When all the little mistakes we don't notice are added, we might be worse off than we assume. I'm simply offering a more reliable or accurate way to do things.

73 Tom