Re: Topband: Anyone using WSPR or WSPR-X?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Anyone using WSPR or WSPR-X?
From: Larry <larry@w7iuv.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 08:36:38 -0700
WSPR and WSPRnet.org are fantastic tools. Used properly, they make the Reverse Beacon network look like a kids toy.

I have used the WSPR system to watch propagation and evaluate both TX and RX antenna systems on several bands. On 160 meters, using a "gold standard" partner station to compare against and averaging data taken over a week long period, I have been able to resolve differences in station performance within a fraction of a dB.

I am currently using WSPR and WSPRnet.org on a 24/7 basis on 630 meters. I, like many others, got tired of waiting on the ARRL to get off their collective lazy political butts and sent in my 60 bux for my experimental license. So far this summer, with about 10 watts ERP, I have been decoded all over North America and have been heard in ZL. Easy coast guys have been decoded in EU this summer, and this winter will be quite exciting.

Using WSPR, and the ON4KST logger for 630/2200 meters, we can watch prop and run skeds for two way digital and CW QSO's when the time is right. We are evaluating both TX and RX antenna systems on a continuous basis.

On 160, since WSPR has something like a 20 dB advantage over CW, you can run 5 watts 24/7 without straining your TX or causing undue QRM. Also WSPR is extremely narrow band. On each band 2200 mtrs and at least through 23 cm, there is a 200 Hz wide piece of spectrum used by ALL the stations worldwide who are participating.

If you are interested in propagation and/or station performance evaluations, you really need to look into the WSPR system..

73,

Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP
DN07dg - central WA
http://w7iuv.com