Re: Topband: WTB: Guy wire stuff

To: "donovanf@starpower.net" <donovanf@starpower.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: WTB: Guy wire stuff
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 20:07:51 +0000
The guy-grips ("regular" / utility style) are supposed to be (according to
catalog data) be of the same strength as the cable they are designed to grip.
In that industry, the line tension is part of the load calculations used for
the pole ratings, guys/anchors, and all the rest of the pole line hardware.
There are NESC specs for how that is handled with wind and ice load. The grips
can't just be a "looks good, don't worry about it" spec if they are going to be
used.

The Big-grips (I was just looking at the catalog in the link recently posted),
have rated strengths specified and are a little longer. It may be that they are
more thoroughly tested/specified and the extra length is extra insurance for
the tower-guying-rated products. I would think the tower guying application is
probably considered to be more critical and needing of more careful/consistent
product testing.

If the primary actual difference is in the product's quality control, then
either is likely to work fine in practice but the big-grips that are specified
for use with tower guying would be safer, especially if you ever had to deal
with an insurance claim.

The only other thing I can think of is that the preforms used in utility
construction, to me (just by looking), appear to be slightly smaller than the
guy cable at the cabled loop part of the preform grip (it's one or two
individual strands less than in the cable itself).

Has anyone ever directly compared the two types to see if there are any obvious
physical differences besides just the length?

  -Bill