Re: Topband: The Stew

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: The Stew
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 14:11:00 -0400
Hi,

My 160 meter transmitters are down for TLC. I am the primary caregiver for my ailing XYL and time for tearing into those is scarce. I have been playing with some mag loops and I took unfair advantage of the Stew to help evaluate the four foot mag loop (the 18 inch one starts sagging badly at 40 meters). I heard both N6RK and a K7 station (I wasn't paying enough attention and the K7 only sent his call once S&P style). The mag loop is magnificent at reducing the industrial type noise in my area. I can easily copy signals several decibels lower than zero on my S-meter. The usually S-4 or S-5 (meter) noise levels are lower still. Many signals were below that S-4 level but easily copied loud and clear. I'll use the step attenuator to try and determine those levels..

I am impressed enough to start making plans for a K9AY here. I am sure I can fit one onto my postage stamp lot. Can't work 'em if you can't hear 'em. And that DX100 is about 3/4 redone :)

73,

Bill  kU8H