Topband: Soldering to Aluminum

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Soldering to Aluminum
From: "dick.bingham" <dick.bingham@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:03:59 -0700
In the past I have successfully soldered to Aluminum using regular solder.

Initially, I scrubbed the aluminum surface to expose un-oxidized metal and then
covered it with OIL to prevent exposure to air and re-oxidation of the surface.
Then use a high wattage soldering and scrub the surface below the oil while
scooting around a melted puddle of solder.

Eventually the aluminum surface will become "tinned" and you can then solder to
the blob.
12-months exposure to weather in a coastal environment showed no signs of
corrosion.

Dick/w7wkr CN98pi