Re: Topband: Broadband Inverted L

To: "List, TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Broadband Inverted L
From: "Lloyd Berg - N9LB" <lloydberg@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 11:26:36 -0600
In my case, I started out with four radials, great wideband match ~100KHz

When I had some more time and wire, I went to 8 radials, that cut the bandwidth
in half, still a good match.

Each chance I had to add more radials, I did.  Each time the bandwidth
decreased substantially, but the antenna kept working better with more radials
as measured by my success working weaker and more distant stations.

I'm up to 60 radials now, antenna is no longer wideband, but works better than
ever.

I figured out that I was "cooking dirt" back in the days that I had only a few
radials.  Now it requires a tuner to QSY more that 10 KHz, but again it works
so much better.   Examples, 160m worked and confirmed this year, W1AW in all 50
states, Amsterdam Is, Lord Howe Is, S. Cook Is.

I suggest adding ground radials or a ground screen around the new feed point -
as close to the surface as possible, and attach to the previous ground system
too.

73

Lloyd - N9LB