Re: Topband: Shunt Feed - Insulated Elements on Yagi

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt Feed - Insulated Elements on Yagi
From: "Joel Harrison" <w5zn@w5zn.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 10:05:16 -0600
Stan - For about 8 years, up until this past spring, my shunt fed tower
for 160 had a KT34XA (insulated elements, later upgraded to a KT36XA same
insulated elements) at the top and I never experienced any issue at all
running 1500 watts, even during a few contests where, as you know, you are
running "continuous" for an extended period. I've read discussion about
whether the coax should run inside -vs- outside the tower, mine ran
outside.

The current arrangement (same tower) has a Cushcraft 40 mtr beam
(insulated DE) and an A3WS (insulated DE) on it and the feedlines now run
inside the tower. I have developed a problem on 17 meters (12 mtr still
OK) with the A3WS so I am trying to assess if it is something caused by
the 160 meter shunt feeding or other cause. Still resovling that.

But, for years no problem with original set up and now no issue except as
noted on 17 meter but most likely NOT related to shunt feed & high power.

I know some folks have experienced issues but to date (thankfully) I have
not.

73 Joel W5ZN

www.w5zn.org