Re: Topband: Beverage on Ice

To: "Ron Feutz" <feutz@wctc.net>, "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage on Ice
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 14:57:25 -0500
I laid out 1000' of #14 stranded, insulated wire. I terminated it with a 200 ohm resistor to a 1/4 wave wire and several short radials running nearly parallel to the antenna/grounding wires. At the feed end, I used a 4/1 homebrew transformer using one of "Tom's" binocular cores. The transformer was grounded to a conventional 8' ground rod.

The antenna never worked at all, as far as I could tell. There was no discernable, certainly not usable, directivity. Why, I don't have a clue. The techniques chosen were the result of all the best advice I could get at the time on the topband reflector.

I'm afraid antennas like that are severely length constrained, because they are slow wave structures.

The velocity factor of an antenna laying on or surrounded by ice is pretty slow. This will limit how long you can make an antenna before the pattern falls apart.

Insulation will not mitigate this problem, because the issue is the proportion of electric field in the media (ice) around the antenna compared to other dielectrics.

If we consider the dielectric constant 3, maximum length would be 250 feet and it would be quite length critical. Too short or too long and pattern would fall apart.

The impedance is also a lot higher than you might expect. It is nothing like a BOG laid on normal dirt. It doesn't even act like a Beverage because of the extremely slow wave velocity.

73 Tom