Re: Topband: Non-Invasive tree attachment?

To: Tracey Gardner <tracey.gardner@talktalk.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Non-Invasive tree attachment?
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 18:22:29 +0000
If it's to be a seasonal installation, you'd be OK just running a rope around
the branch. When attaching to a tree for the short term, what you want to avoid
is chafing and abrasion of the tree's bark. I would make a loop of rope around
the branch such that motion of the antenna wire would not cause the rope to
create a sawing motion on the branch.

If this will be a longer term installation, then you also want to avoid
constriction of the branch as that can kill the branch. In this case it would
be important that the loop of rope be sufficiently slack so as to allow growth
of the branch (growth = increase in diameter). You could also try to get some
seatbelt-like nylon webbing to use around the branch instead of rope. The wider
material will spread the load over a larger area of the branch which will help
to reduce any possibility of damage to the branch.

And don't forget to provide a "fuse" somewhere in the system to allow for an
easy-to-fix failure point to protect the branch. I usually use small braided
nylon cord for this purpose (I've found it to outlast twisted string). You want
the fuse to break at some amount of tension that is high enough that you're not
constantly fixing things, but low enough that the branch and any important
antenna parts won't fail before the fuse does.

I always plan my tree-supported antenna systems to protect the tree first, then
the antenna. I can always fix the antenna, but if I break one of my trees then
I loose one of my supports!

   -Bill

Sent from my iPad