Topband: Fwd: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Fwd: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule
From: Frank Davis <fdavis@nfld.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:06:12 -0330
Many thanks to all who have jumped into the conversation.

Some one suggested driving to the site  and just operate from there.

The road distance is 120km and the weather during winter here in NF can be
extreme.  For example on Sat night of the CQWW160 the weather  forecast
broadcast was for  winds from NE 100kmph + for early Sunday that would persist
during the day.  At 0230 local Sunday I went outside and cranked down my tower
thus dropping the Invl L and ending the contest for me. By 04:30 there gusts at
weather station . a kilometer or so from my house  of 120kmph with snow   This
went on all day and it would have been the day to drive back from the site if I
were there.  I think VA3DX made the point very well.....and Tom VE3CX I am not
looking for any "help" just looking for a smarter way to do things...

I appreciate the input and also take great interest in the opinions expressed
by all of you....thanks.

New for me:
1.) Did I understand from one post  that DXCC credits for your call  can count
if you use an RHR subscription service with your own callsign.......if that is
true  why  are people worried about my "competitive advantage" using my "own"
remote SDR across the bay from my QTH.!  The RHR point takes the wind out of
DXCC for me.

2.) I didn't realize that my "Check log Q's" are counted as valid in the
non-"Check log" logs.  So in the case of my 150 Q's the other guy can enjoy the
points from the QSO with me even though I am using a setup that is not allowed
in the contest.....that to me doesn't make any sense.

Anyway I will keep refining my remote setup and enjoy the capabilities of my
remote SDR.....this a.m. at sunrise I could copy K6Y/KH6 559 on 160M until well
into full daylight.  I have lots of room for more antennas there and hope to
work new DX...too bad none of it can be credited to increase my  count on 160.

Frank VO1HP
www.vo1hp.ca