Re: Topband: NE7D loaded tower

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: NE7D loaded tower
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:05:51 -0500
"More then once I burned a loading wire.... over the years I had that configuration." The solution for this is a wire cage as it does most of the radiating rather than the tower itself. It is also easier to feed with a simple network especially if you find the sweet point tap.

The problem is the voltage at the top of the tower. A cage does not guarantee the voltage would be zero, because the Yagi would be up outside the cage. In a similar fashion, an Inverted L would not guarantee no damaging voltages.

Floating element antennas are often some sort of issue. I would never build one floating that way, if for no other reason than insulator failures from external common mode.

73 Tom