Re: Topband: AC line bypass capacitors

To: "'HAROLD SMITH JR'" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>, "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: AC line bypass capacitors
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 23:29:38 -0500
Hi, Harold - well it's been a while, I know that we regularly used line
bypasses in electricity meter and they had to be really robust, but I was
mostly and RF and communications guy and when I had to fool with power
supply designs for the meters, I generally just copied whatever was done
before. Of course out there on the line side of the meter is a hellish surge
environment. On guy mentioned film capacitors, but I would be a bit
skeptical of those as RF bypasses. The capacitors that we used were very
robust, as they had to withstand 480 volt high-line voltage or 530 VAC. And
yes I have seen my share of fried line bypass capacitors  in consumer
electronics and radio gear.

73,
Charlie, K4OTV