Re: Topband: Out-of-Turn Callers

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Out-of-Turn Callers
From: Garry Shapiro <garry@ni6t.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 17:43:35 -0800
It appears to be the case that NA finances the big trips and EU gets the Q's. That needs to be ironed out.

Garry

On 2/5/2015 11:32 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On Thu,2/5/2015 8:29 AM, Fortra wrote:
jeez those numbers are worrying.

So are the numbers for contributions to the cost of DX trips that have gotten increasingly expensive. The only way to get on the island is via a helicopter, and they have had to make many trips.

Some of my friends go on these trips (three are on Navassa), and all of them complain that while EU hams are very demanding, they don't do much to contribute to the cost. Take a look at the "News" tab on this link, then the "Our Sponsors" tab, noting the breakdown by continent for contributions from Clubs and individual hams.

http://www.navassadx.com/

All of that notwithstanding, some of the key players on this expedition were also part of FT5ZM, which did a spectacular job of filling logs everywhere, taking advantage of propagation and great station engineering. AA7JV and HA7RY are part of this trip. Their topband record is excellent. And they're not the only guys who know how to work topband.

73, Jim K9YC