Re: Topband: K1N DQRM Tracking Project

To: "'Charlie Cunningham'" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K1N DQRM Tracking Project
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 05:56:31 -0700
Hi Charlie,
You/re right of course, it's 1 ft/nanosecond. Don't know what I was
thinking.  I was also focusing on CW DQRM,  since that is 99% of what I
operate, and since carriers and CW jamming havw been endemic on the Navassa
dxpedition's top band and 80m operations. I agree that for SSB interference,
the concept would be harder to implement since there would be no sharply
defined turn-on time for the interference at the receiving stations.

I was also envisaging receiving stations spaced, e.g., 100 miles or more
apart,  and for those the time delays coould be a msec or longeer, and not
just a phase shift.  Of course, multipath and ionisspheric reflection would
be a problem on the higher frequentices, although the accuracy would be
improved with more than three receiving stations. I've nothing against
direction finding, but that's likely to have much more inherent error than a
technique which involves only time measurements.

For topband DQRM, I've assumed most of the jamming came from US stations,
but that's just a guess.
73,
Jim W8ZR