Topband: Alternating tone RFI

To: Top Band List List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Alternating tone RFI
From: wb6rse1@mac.com
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 15:47:55 -0800
I’ve also posted this on the RFI reflector.

I’m hearing a peculiar RFI tone on 160m and 80m. It’s two tones. One is a long
tone with a short OFF. The other is approximately 13 kc lower and is ON exactly
when the first tone is off. Sometimes the second tone appears plus and minus 13
kc from the longer tone’s frequency. I notice this every night but not until at
least an hour or two after sunset. It’s not on in the early hours prior to
sunrise. Signal strength appears to be directional. I’ve heard it occasionally
on an upper HF band like 17m during the day but it’s much weaker.

I can’t find anything online that matches this description.

Any ideas on what to search for will be appreciated.

Steve WB6RSE