Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground"

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground"
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 20:38:34 -0500
On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 8:18 PM, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
wrote:

> I suspect that somewhere, someone (or many someones) are working on
> modeling software of comparable complexity to that acoustic software --
> indeed, K6OIK has listed several professional packages of considerably
> greater capability and complexity as compared to the NEC engines. Here's a
> presentation he did in 2008 at Pacificon. I've heard him do a newer
> version, but I can't find it on the internet.

The difference between the acoustic stuff and HF, MF antenna modeling, is
that there is BIG money to be made with acoustics. Someone can invest
serious capital in the research with a halfway decent hope of getting back
his investment and more.

The current red-hot antenna modelling is for wireless devices and cellular
phones. They don't have to worry about dirt. Apparently just about hand
placement...

When someone can do the research paid for as part of his job, and the
materials and other expenses are soaked up by the business, stuff can get
done. This was the business mode of the fabled 1937 Brown Lewis & Epstein
study, where RCA was footing the bill and looking to encourage radio
transmitting stations so they could sell more receivers. Capitalism at its
very best, methinks. It worked!

73, Guy K2AV