Re: Topband: What IS troubling about this report....

To: Larry <w6nws@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: What IS troubling about this report....
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 09:29:14 -0400
On 2015-03-15, at 9:10 AM, Larry wrote:

> Sometimes the DXpedition is its own worst enemy. If they ask for W6 and then
> relent after a couple tries to work the W6 and then works someone  else sends
> the message is you guys can bulldoze me so keep calling. Many of the later
> DXpeditions have been much better at this and more persistent in working the
> station they were calling. The problem of persisting to work they station is
> that it ruins your QSO rate. Of course, all of those callers can ruin your
> QSO rate as well. Another classic one is DX lectures on "don't call while I
> am working a station" and then proceeds W6 59, now W4 59. The W6 59, now the
> other W6 is understandable. Both of those scenarios give rise to constant
> calling unfortunately.
>
> The E30 yesterday actually worked a couple of stations that I heard almost on
> his own frequency which doesn't help.
>
> Sadly, I think it was an E30 pile, E30 called someone and he didn't respond.
> E30 called again. Someone said something like "Fred send your report" and
> "Fred" dutifully sent his report. Another "QSO" in the log. Years ago I had
> heard that done on 2M several times.
>
> 73, Larry  W6NWS

Hi All,

Talk about a DX-Pedition being its own worse enemy...

As a guy with no lap top in the shack---hence, no immediate access to on-line
chat rooms, spotting sites, etc.---what I hate most are those DX-Peditions that
repeatedly work stations without ID'ing, or ID'ing only after some two dozen,
or more, QSOs...

Meanwhile, the proverbial "...hunt & peck" type sits there cursing under his
breath, "WHAT'S YOUR CALL SIGN...?!"

I can see where a Ham of a less than honourable disposition might be sorely
tempted to put a brick atop the key & wander away from the shack, jamming the
entire proceedings...but seriously: does it slow the QSO rate all THAT much, to
send your call sign at least every third contact, or so...?

Not all of us have computers next to the rig---even less are blessed with
ESP...!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ