Re: Topband: Fw: Use of Remote Receivers During 160 Meter Contests

To: mstangelo@comcast.net, k1fz <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: Use of Remote Receivers During 160 Meter Contests
From: "Dave Blaschke, w5un" <w5un@wt.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:57:47 +0000
Hey Mike,

This is why we work hard all our lives, so we can earn enough to do this. I, too, was on a small city lot most of my life. Noe I'm not (earned it).

Dave, W5UN

On 3/17/2015 4:44 PM, mstangelo@comcast.net wrote:
Xtreme category, where have I heard that term?

Classical 160 meter operating involves real estate and the expenditure of lots
of money or time for effective transmitting and receiving antenna systems and
amplifiers. This is accomplished mostly by old men with lots of spending money
and time on their hands, kind of like the Olympic games.

How can younger people or those without the resources participate in these
endeavors? They came up with the X-games instead of the Olympics. Hams are
starting to use the newer technology to enhance their radio experience.

I am one of those old men how is presently busy with work but retirement is on
the horizon. I have an acre property now but my wife and I will probably
downsize once our mixing product leaves the nest. If you asked me a decade ago
I would preach the classical operator model but now I will take advantage of
the new technology to allow me to operate in the future.

Both methods have to co-exist or else the hobby will die. They should have
additional categories for remote receiving or operating in contests and awards
chasing.

Mike N2MS