Re: Topband: Top Hat Vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Top Hat Vertical
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 05:35:35 -0400
?Same here. My T vertical for 160 is 100 ft vertical and 82 ft horizontal.
That makes the antenna resonant below the band, with a feedpoint Z of 50
ohms plus some inductive reactance on 160M. I add series C to tune out the
L. The same idea will certainly work on 80M.?

I believe that this antenna is functioning as a 3/8 wave vertical.  Which is
nice, but not necessary for good performance.

I have a 70 ft high vertical portion with a total hat of about 45 ft (22.5
ft x 2).  It resonates at 1.84Mhz with 20 Ohm impedance.  It is fed against
a ground rod and 45 radials ? mostly ¼ long.

Works quite well.

Ed