Re: Topband: The Remote question

To: W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The Remote question
From: Cecil <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 15:47:14 -0500
It's obvious the DXCC award system is not important to you by your own
admission, which doesn't put you in the best of positions to be so vocal about
paid/shared remote station access and its impact on the award systems.

Call it what you will it's very competitive...in an individualized sort of way
but competitive it is.

It is a badge of honor for those passionate about such things.  Yes the guy
with the $100,000 station most days has an advantage over the guy with 100
Watts and a wire...but some days the propagation Gods shine on the guy with 100
Watts and he beats the big bucks station out..also operator skill levels that
playing field as well...you learn those things when that's all you have for a
station.

Yes we have always faced those kind of challenges and no rule or class changes
were really needed.  It was incentive to make your station the best it could be
within your means and to improve your operating skills.

For contesters things were a bit better as the differences in station
capability was recognized and different competitive classes were formed....so
the guy with 100 Watts and a wire could feel a sense of accomplishment by
competing with guys generally equipped like him.

In today's world where one could finally move into that swanky neighborhood
that the wife has always wanted to live but couldn't because hubby needed space
and acceptance to put up all those ugly wires, towers, antennas and such....no
worries! (That's my wife...and we still don't live there)

We can pick up a radio front panel for a song and a smokin internet connection
and just dial up whatever superstation has propagation to where the DX is today
and bag em.  Just think about being able to get in on that E skip action
anytime it happens just by dialing up a station that is in the skip zone
today...and 160 DXCC...just dial around until you find a station that can hear
that rare DX station that's on tonight.  The wall paper is piling up...

What's a traditional station OP to do...he's been working hard for years,
building new antennas, buying commercial products and improving his station
whenever he can, staying up late nights or getting up early mornings.  An
expected normal progression for Ham Radio....he is close to finishing his DXCC
on 160 and a guy that don't even own a station...or worse owns a small station
but doesn't use it to work the hard ones, lands his first 100 on 160 in his
first year of being on the air.

He throws up his hands and says what's the point...and certainly won't be
buying any more commercial products to try and improve his station....and out
of business go more of the commercial equipment makers.

Now...

I don't have a problem with technology and its advancement...I'm a technical
guy.  But the advantages that paid or even shared remote station access allows
should dictate that these OPs compete in their own class with others that are
leveraging that advantage.

The exception to this is the guy that has built his station on a remote site on
land he owns or leases for that purpose because he has noise issues he can't
overcome or he lives in the subdivision with an HOA that won't allow his
antennas, but he still wants to compete on the bands...that remote station is
his primary station...it's just a traditional station accessed remotely by its
owner...no problem....good use of today's technology.

You own property on three different coasts and one remote island and have
stations on all of them....the new DXCC/Contesting class is ready made for you
too...

I think new class structure language in the DXCC and various contest rules is
the only viable answer...

Don't limit technology, adapt to it to allow its advancement but as it evolves
allow the traditional station owner to continue to practice his kind of Ham
Radio on a traditional playing field....fact is probably 90 percent of stations
are traditional styled operations anyway.

Soap box mode OFF...

Cecil
K5DL

Sent using recycled electrons.