Re: Topband: Waller Loop

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Waller Loop
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 23:21:34 -0700
On Thu,9/3/2015 12:33 PM, David Cole wrote:
My only conclusion now is that the two loops are coupled by the 26 foot
aluminum boom.

Hi David,

I've been studying this antenna too, and have built an NEC model. After reading your email, I added a grounded tower and boom arm to the model, and it did NOT degrade performance. I've not built one of these antennas, and am quite interesting in hearing from those who have.

What chokes are you using (complete details -- what core, how many turns), and exactly where are they located? Are you mounting the coax close to the boom?

If I were doing it, I would use 16 turns of a transmission line formed by a pair of #14 THHN around a #31 core. That is, measure out two 5 ft lengths of 314 THHN, tape them together, and wind 16 turns of that pair around the core. The Zo of that choke is on the order of 90 ohms.

What matters is to decouple the feedpoint from both the coax and a conductive boom, so I would locate the chokes at the feedpoint of both loops, between the feedpoint and the boom.

73, Jim K9YC