Re: Topband: BOG question

To: "Jim" <wa3mej@comcast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BOG question
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 13:32:47 -0400

Frank et. al,
The ground does indeed affect the Vf however different types of wires/cables are affected differently and the only way to know for sure is
to measure the Vf yourself. I use old telephone cable (

None of it, including the cable type, affects the spacing of elements. That was Frank's point, and that was all he ever said.

Somehow what Frank said was misconstrued into meaning something about the transmission line mode of waves in the antenna itself, which no one ever disagreed about. We all know, or should know, the Vp through the length of the antenna is affected by ground and dielectrics.

Frank's statement was that the external wave was not affected by the Vf in the antenna, so the required spacing does not change between a BOG and any other antenna.