Re: Topband: Router Recommendations

To: 'TopBand' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Router Recommendations
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 13:47:59 -0700
On Tue,10/6/2015 1:20 PM, wb6rse1@mac.com wrote:
I’m looking for WiFi router recommendations that support the latest standard,
802.11ac, and that have minimal if any RFI birdies. Netgear? Model numbers? Others.

Several years ago, I bought a top of the line ASUS RT-N56U. I've been very happy with it. I update the firmware every year or two. All of my network is wireless with the exception of one printer.

Any Ethernet box I've ever seen/used will generate some birdies. Following my advice for ferrite chokes on every cable that connects to them will knock them down a lot. It's been a while, but I think this router was quieter than the Netgear unit it replaced.

At the same time I bought that one, I also bought a lower cost unit that I still use for CQP, and a couple of USB adapters to plug into old laptops that don't have decent wireless. They work well too.

Both of the ASUS routers run fine on 12VDC -- at CQP, we hung it on our 12VDC bus, and at home I run it both it and the cable modem from a 12V sealed lead acid that is float-charged by a vintage linear wall wart. That eliminates another source of noise (the switching wall warts they supply with the unit), and it also acts as a UPS to keep the internet up during power failures.

73, Jim K9YC