Re: Topband: CQWW160 New Rule!! ....good news

To: Леонид Кашигин <ua6a@mail.ru>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQWW160 New Rule!! ....good news
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 16:16:04 -0400
I note that it is for single op assisted only. CQ is not the first to do
this. Stew Perry has allowed this for a while now. The rule thus far has
not been withdrawn from the Stew.

The effect may be to encourage stations that have unbearable noise, but who
*can* transmit well enough, to get in there.

While many aspects of a station are within the diligence and technical
prowess of the owner, some things are insoluble, particularly urban noise.
This seems a limited extension, without the complexities of messing with
multi/X station rules or messing with the "purity" of the single op
unassisted category. To my eyes anyway a "clean" and useful extension.

62 miles as a limit works to prevent listening on a remote on a far
continent.

Putting up some RX antennas and a remotable SDR hooked to the internet is a
far less complex task than remoting the entire station as has been done by
some to solve the exact same problem. Power for a wireless router, control
and SDR is easily solar cells + battery + charging circuit.

I still prefer to have  stuff nearby, but a remote RX only is tempting for
when the Apex 13 kV primary lines start acting up again, and I know it's
going to be another six months of struggle to get it rectified.

73, all

Guy K2AV