Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it

To: "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>, "Dave Blaschke, w5un" <w5un@wt.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 14:39:10 -0400

I have driven copper ground rods in about ten years ago, then wrapped a couple turns of #4 wire around the top and soldered that to the rod using plumbers solder. These connections are as good today as the day I soldered them. Plumbers solder works very well outdoors for me. I use it on everything outdoors now.

Dave, W5UN

80 year old broadcast radial systems are still good with silver solder connections. My 318ft tower gets whacked all the time and has silver soldered connections. They never melt. Even RF radials that augment the lightning ground, which are plumbers solder #16, do not get hurt.

The main reason NEC and other codes don't like solder is they don't trust people to know how to solder.

Of course the heat is I^2 R times the time. It isn't just current, it is joules. If the solder connection is good with low resistance, it will not get hot.

Also, there is no possible way a rod system could stay anywhere near zero volts in a strike. Almost all of the protection to equipment and the house itself is by the common point connection of things entering the house outside the house.

We certainly need the rods, but most of the protection comes from bonding of all things entering the dwelling. Very little of the protection inside the dwelling actually comes from the rods.

With a tower or tall structure likely to be hit, the structure ground can be a major player. That ground keeps strikes from raising the base voltage so much, and reduces common mode into the house grounds. It takes a pretty big ground system to not elevate in voltage in hits. A couple rods will not do it, even if they ohm just a few ohms at low frequencies.

73 Tom