Re: Topband: Diversity-capable transceivers

To: "Barry N1EU" <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>, "topBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Diversity-capable transceivers
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 19:19:40 -0500
Barry,

It is more than just second receiver quality. For maximum diversity effect, the receivers must use a common time base for both channels. They do not have to be phase synced (unless blended into mono), a person's brain will learn around that. The channels should not drift phase when on a given frequency, and if phase changes with tuning, it should be very gradual.

This can be checked by running a common oscillator or carrier signal into both channels and listening in mono. Another test is observing background noise with a single antenna common to both channels. Listening in mono can be as simple as laying the headphones on the desk. There should be no beat warble or no fading and peaking on a carrier, and when the band is swept on noise any change in apparent audio level with frequency change should be very gradual. Ideally there should be no changes at all.

My R4C's, because I used one receiver's oscillators to run both channels, were perfect. The K3's I have are imperfect, they have a gradual phase change between channels with frequency.

My FT1000D was terrible, as was the Orion I had. They gave some diversity effect, but were so far unsynced they did not give the deep noise digging the K3 or R4C system would.

If you never use a system that is phase locked, you might not realize the difference. The channel audio phase relationship has to be stable without drift to get the real enhancement.