Re: Topband: QRP

To: Top Band Contesting <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: QRP
From: James Rodenkirch <Rodenkirch_LLC@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 22:19:18 +0000
I don't know that I'd use Jim's, "Most of it, yes" phraseology, Rick....go to
the results pages for any 160 meter contest.....look up the top ten scores of
the QRP entrants, then.....go to the Low power and High power line scores  and
start noodling through the listings - you may be surprised to see well us
QRPers do, in terms of score, vs. those supposed "heavy lifting LP and HP
entries"!!!! I've participated in many 160 events where I had to struggle to
hear the other station and, after completing the QSO and making some sort of
annotation next to the call sign, look to see which category they entered and
discover they are an LP entry, most often.  Jim's point - needing a very good
TX antenna(s), lots of operating skill, and lots of attention to propagation -
applies equally to any other entry category......there's no "lock" on doing
well when you, regardless of the entry category don't pay attention to the TX
antenna, propagation and honed operating skill.

Besides all of that ---------------- thumb your nose at a potential QRP
entry/participant in any of the Stew Perry events - i.e., don't even bother to
answer a call from a weak station at or just above the noise - and  you'll find
your final score can take a serious hit 'cuz we QRP participants are worth 4
points as compared to 2 for all of 'dem "heavy lifters."

71.5/72 de Jim RodenkirchK9JWV