Re: Topband: Stew operating times?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Stew operating times?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 09:37:17 -0800
On Fri,12/25/2015 9:22 AM, K4OWR wrote:
Since it's 1500-1500, and I need to pick 14 hours, I'm guessing about 6PM Sat to 8AM Sun ??? In order to maximize propogation?

It depends on your QTH. Here in W6/W7, the Stew begins just before our sunrise, so most of us start out at 1500 hoping to work JA. By 1600, there's nothing but locals, so we QRT until an hour or so before our sunset.

From your QTH in central TN, you'll probably want to start an hour or so before sunset Saturday, and operate through the night until an hour or so after sunrise, taking breaks for dinner and social time with the XYL. Remember that the hour or so either side of sunrise and sunset are peak times for DX, so you'll want to be on the air. Around sunset and in the evening, you'll have peak opportunities to work east; around sunrise, to the west. And both times, good propagation N and S.

73, Jim K9YC