Re: Topband: directional receive and contests

To: Art Snapper <art@nk8x.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: directional receive and contests
From: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 12:06:34 -0500
Hi Art,

I have 2 classes of rx antennas for 160/80, an active rx 4-square with
short 108" verticals (a copy of the first-generation DXE array) and 3
pretty long bi-directional beverages. In general, the 4-sq is not as "razor
sharp" as the beverages, so I generally put the 4-sq on the main rx of the
K3 and put one of the beverages on the sub-rx in diversity mode. A common
scenario is to have the EU beverage in my right ear and the 4-sq selected
as NW or SW in the left ear. The less-than-stellar F/B and F/S of the 4-sq
usually allows me to work most of the stronger callers, even those in the
"disadvantaged" directions, without switching, plus it gives me a hint if
someone is calling and I should switch one of the other beverages in to dig
out a weak one. HTH.

73,

geo - n4ua