Re: Topband: Anybody?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Anybody?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 09:39:55 -0800
I can confirm Jim's experience that the Spiderbeam poles are NOT very robust, and are not sufficiently robust to be used in the manner Spiderbeam describes. We bought a 40 ft Spiderbeam pole to use as part of an 80M vertical for FD and county expeditions for the California QSO Party. The antenna worked fine -- until the wind blew and broke the Spiderbeam mast at the point of attachment to the rest of the antenna. The poles are advertised as being reinforced by crossed fibers; our pole was not, which is why it broke.

The mechanical engineer for our antenna, Glen, W6GJB, is an M.E. by degree, and practices as an aeronautical engineer in the space program. He's quite familiar with materials and the stresses in a given design. He holds a dozen or so patents.

I can also confirm that the antenna is NOT easy to erect, and for the same reason Jim cited -- the top wobbles around, generating lots of side stresses as it goes up, making it more difficult to raise. We needed five people, one on each guy, and two at the antenna base. Our antenna, and our experience, is described here.

http://k9yc.com/80M-FDVertical.pdf

We're very pleased with its performance and every aspect of its design other than the Spiderbeam pole. We tested the antenna over poor ground at Glen's QTH, and our FD and CQP sites also have poor ground. Over good ground, the advantage of this antenna over the reference inverted Vee would increase by 3-6 dB.

73, Jim K9YC