Re: Topband: Termination Transformer

To: K4PI@BELLSOUTH.NET,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Termination Transformer
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2016 01:01:34 +0000
Mike,

> A second question, the BN-73-202 cores I use are conductive to a
> small extent.  I have read it is better to use insulated wire or use
> sleeves in the cores.

You should use either enameled wire or something
like the wire-wrap wire that Radio Shack (used to?) sells.
See below on how I use enameled wire.

/>I noticed there was about 2.5K ohm between
> the core and any of the windings.

Your winding is shorted to the core and there
could be even a shorted turn.

> I assume some of the insulation
> go scrapped off the enamel on the wire I was using.

Yes, that's what happened....sharp edges at the
ends of the holes can slice right through enamel.

> I am moving to
> insulated wire although that limits the number of turns.

Use the wire-wrap wire or "Kynar" wire...it's #30 with a thin,
tough insulation....could be Teflon.  A small diameter probe,
something like a toothpick, will help pack the wire in the
core if your need a lot of turns.

On using enameled wire...I insulate the holes in the cores
with ordinary plastic soda straws.  I cut them just a little longer
than the length of the core and then slit them lengthwise
with small sissors.  Then I roll them in my fingers, observing
how much excess there is in the "roll" when inserted into the
core, then I cut off most of that excess, leaving some overlap.
I re-insert the roll into the core and it's ready for use.

73,
Charlie, N0TT