Topband: Ooops - Good reason for multiple Stews/Stew Beef

To: "Topband reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Ooops - Good reason for multiple Stews/Stew Beef
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 22:03:53 +0800
G’day

Oops. I meant from Western Australia the time between the Spring and Autumn (in
southern hemisphere terms) equinoxes is by far the best time to work into North
America and Europe, i.e. during our spring, summer and autumn.  Yes it as noisy
as all hell, but the prop is there.

However, while the southern hemisphere winter (June, July and August) is very
poor for VK6 stations to work across into the northern hemisphere, the east
coast of Australia (in particular, VK3, 4, 5 and 7) can work across the equator
into North America regularly during this time.

Despite what the commonly used Mercator Projection map of the world shows,
Australia is as about as big as the continental USA – and eastern Australia has
very different propagation to Australia’s ‘left coast’, as the USA’s east coast
does in comparison to its west coast.

My recollection of what the great Stew himself wrote in his newsletters (and my
general experience) is that around the equinoxes is the best time to work 160m
for just about everyone worldwide.

I think four Stews is just perfect for increasing activity levels and
attracting DX, but if we were ever to talk about two, IMHO think these being
close to the two equinoxes would be the fairest solution.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ