Re: Topband: BOG near salt water

To: "Hugh Valentine" <HSVDDS@Outlook.Com>, "TopBand" <Topband@Contesting.Com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BOG near salt water
From: "Milt" <miltn5ia@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 22:08:04 -0700
Val,

Beverages of any type will NOT work over salt water or earth where the chemical makeup of the earth produces a highly conductive material.

Here is the way I understand the theory.

The Beverage works on the principle of a two wire transmission line where one side of the transmission line is your Beverage wire and the other side is the earth.

The wire half has RF voltage induced in it by 'tilting' of the wave due to the difference in the velocity factor of the 2 halves of the 'transmission line'. The signal travels faster in the wire than it does in the earth, producing the miniscule amount of RF voltage in the wire, which is impedance matched to your coaxial cable.

If the medium which comprises the other half of your Beverage system has a VF at or nearly so the same as your wire half, no RF voltage is produces and you will NOT have any signal.

Congratulations on your success. It means the earth comprising the other half of your BOG is not salt saturated. You are getting signal tilt producing an RF voltage, and therefore signals.

If you were to move the BOG over the salt water and have your grounds at each end connected to the salt you will find that there will be for all intents and purposes ZERO signal produced. It is then truly just a balanced open wire feed line and nothing else.

Keep up the good work. Always try and prove things for your self. That is what it is all about.

73, and good luck, de Milt, N5IA

-----Original Message----- From: Hugh Valentine