Re: Topband: Ground Screen Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground Screen Question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 10:38:52 -0800
There is considerable confusion here with respect to radial systems for antennas and an earth connection for lightning protection. They are VERY different, and both are important. Properly bonded conductors buried in concrete ARE acceptable as a ground for lightning protection -- it's called a Ufer ground, after Herbert Ufer who developed the concept, and it's now recognized in the National Electric Code. A Ufer ground works because 1) concrete is conductive and 2) there is a large surface area in contact with the earth. The downside is that the earth it makes contact with is near the surface.

Like ALL earth electrodes, it must be bonded to all other grounds in your home -- power system, Telco, CATV, your shack, and all driven rods.

I think Bob is on a pretty good track with his design.

For more ideas, see http://k9yc.com/160MPacificon.pdf

73, Jim K9YC