Re: Topband: strange propagation

To: Louis Parascondola <gudguyham@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: strange propagation
From: kolson@rcn.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 12:40:43 -0500 (EST)
I keep hearing folks say that "stations are no longer licensed", but I can only
find this in the FCC rules on the ARRL website:

§97.5   Station license required.
(a) The station apparatus must be under the physical control of a person named
in an amateur station license grant on the ULS consolidated license database or
a person authorized for alien reciprocal operation by §97.107 of this part,
before the station may transmit on any amateur service frequency from any place
that is:
(1) Within 50 km of the Earth's surface and at a place where the amateur
service is regulated by the FCC;
(2) Within 50 km of the Earth's surface and aboard any vessel or craft that is
documented or registered in the United States; or
(3) More than 50 km above the Earth's surface aboard any craft that is
documented or registered in the United States.
(b) The types of station license grants are:
(1) An operator/primary station license grant. One, but only one,
operator/primary station license grant may be held by any one person. The
primary station license is granted together with the amateur operator license.
Except for a representative of a foreign government, any person who qualifies
by examination is eligible to apply for an operator/primary station license
grant.
(2) A club station license grant. A club station license grant may be held only
by the person who is the license trustee designated by an officer of the club.
The trustee must be a person who holds an operator/primary station license
grant. The club must be composed of at least four persons and must have a name,
a document of organization, management, and a primary purpose devoted to
amateur service activities consistent with this part.
(3) A military recreation station license grant. A military recreation station
license grant may be held only by the person who is the license custodian
designated by the official in charge of the United States military recreational
premises where the station is situated. The person must not be a representative
of a foreign government. The person need not hold an amateur operator license
grant.

§97.103   Station licensee responsibilities.
(a) The station licensee is responsible for the proper operation of the station
in accordance with the FCC Rules. When the control operator is a different
amateur operator than the station licensee, both persons are equally
responsible for proper operation of the station.
(b) The station licensee must designate the station control operator. The FCC
will presume that the station licensee is also the control operator, unless
documentation to the contrary is in the station records.
(c) The station licensee must make the station and the station records
available for inspection upon request by an FCC representative.

The eCFR text is the same and is noted as being "...current as of January 13,
2016."

I can find no reference to stations licenses no longer being required, can
anyone illuminate this for me?

As far as responsibility for transmissions from outside the US, from W3BE
(ex-head of the old Amateur and Citizens (Radio) Division of the FCC in the
day, FWIW):

Q. I have a remotely controlled station in suburban Chicago. My friend has a
ham license in the United Kingdom. Can he legitimately be the control operator
of my station from England via the Internet?
   A. Yes, as long as you are in agreement with him doing so. The U.S. and the
U.K. have a reciprocal operating agreement. Section 97.5 and Section 97.107
authorize your U.K. friend to be either or both the station licensee and the
station control operator of an amateur station in places where the FCC
regulates our amateur service. Here are your choices:
   Choice One: The station transmits your primary station call sign in the
station identification announcement. This establishes you as the station
licensee, responsible for the proper operation of the station. Read Section
97.103 (a). You and your friend are both accountable for the duties of its
control operator being performed properly. Note that Section 97.103 (b) says
that the FCC will presume that you, the station licensee, are also the control
operator unless there is documentation to the contrary. So, keep a record.
   Choice Two: Relinquish physical control of station apparatus to your U.K.
friend. Read Section 97.5(a) . The station transmits your friend’s
U.K.-assigned station call sign in the identification announcement. This
establishes your friend alone as being responsible for performing properly the
duties of both the station licensee and its control operator. You are not
accountable. He should append the identifier /W9 to his U.K. call sign in the
station identification announcements.

73, Kevin K3OX