Topband: FCC regulations circa 1960's

To: <jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FCC regulations circa 1960's
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 19:20:20 -0500
I'm almost certain that all of his serious DXing was done from the water
tower location.  He also had a 160m station at his home, but it was on a
very small urban lot and as I recall, he had only a low dipole up for 160m
there.

Whenever I heard him operating from the water tower site, he would sign
W1BB/1 to indicate portable operation but I guess that was required back
then.

That's correct, if you think back we assigned a station address and a operator address on our licenses. Today, we only have an operator contact address. There is no station location or license location except as defined within this boundary:

(1) Within 50 km of the Earth's surface and at a place where the amateur service is regulated by the FCC; (2) Within 50 km of the Earth's surface and aboard any vessel or craft that is documented or registered in the United States; or

(3) More than 50 km above the Earth's surface aboard any craft that is documented or registered in the United States.

Our station license covers the entire jurisdiction of the FCC, rather than a street address like it did in the 70's and earlier and it is any radio we control. Thus we no longer need to sign / district or mobile, or report to the FCC when we are going to operate away from home more than a certain time or distance.

The station location license is gone. It is now everywhere the FCC controls as one big location, anywhere we control a radio.

Stew had to sign /1 because at that time station licenses were location specific. There was no station license assigned to the water tower address. He was legally required to use /1.

If there was a station license there, like W1XX, it would have been W1XX. Not W1BB.

What I'm not sure of is operating above the class of the a station location, prior to the elimination of the station license we used to get (I think it was listed at the top of the license as "transmitter location or authorized remote location" ). Mine always said "same as below" :-) .

Does anyone recall that rule? I know remote control locations had to be licensed, but what was the identifier when using another Ham's station who had lower license class but a station license assigned to that address?

73 Tom

unless Stew's class allowed operation outside that station license class. Then it would have been both calls, but I can't recall if it was W1XX/W1BB or the other way.