Re: Topband: VP8STI 160 Meter Path

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: VP8STI 160 Meter Path
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 11:47:37 -0400
VP8STI appeared to have some multipath conditions FWIW. SE/S/ SW with me switching Beverages and this was hard to really determine. Their 160 meter signal would rise and fall from 579 to very weak. however there was a time around 0100 when they were the most consistent. I think the same thing was experienced earlier when Dima was working EU only when the grey-line path to NA existed and they were workable in EU and AF. An hour later they must have either lost their EU path of changed antenna directions because the EU stations reported them in the noise. Some stations complained that Dima was sending over 30 WPM as he usually does. However I think this helps some stations in the tropic and where TS exist in places like Florida as you get your call between crashes.

I can't give enough praise for the DXE NCC-1 phaser which arrived last week. In the case of VP8STI I was trying to phase a SE Beverage and a S Beverage together that are about 60 feet apart and running the same direction. There were times that this made the difference between solid copy and very weak copy.

So many of us should also press the donate button again if we haven't already since two ATNO on 160 doesn't happen that often for long time topbanders.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ