Re: Topband: Antenna Tuners

Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna Tuners
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 08:05:51 -0800
I cut my top loaded "T" (85' at top, 10' high feed, elevated 8x 125' radials) for 1825. Then 3 equal value series capacitors are shorted by PCB relays (10a, 5Kv coil insulation) to switch in C, C/2, and C/3 (C=4000pf for this antenna). That yields 4 by 40KHz spaced segments with > 50KHz 2:1 bandwidth for full band coverage (I don't cover above 1980). The feed is 25 ohms with a TLT with a 1.1:1 resonance swr, and the caps are on the low Z side (higher current, lower voltage). I paralleled silver micas to get an adequate current rating. EZNEC shows the C, currents and voltages needed, all reasonable with the correct micas. The relays never hot switch and are mounted in a plastic water tight box at the feedpoint. So far so good at QRO and 3 years of casual operations. I used a 4 position rotary switch and some diodes to select the relays. My amp has a tuner that is ok < 2:1 swr, but the idea (not mine) can be morphed to whatever frequencies desired if a tuner isn't used.

Grant KZ1W