Re: Topband: Comments on High Performance RX Antennas for a Small Lot (W

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Comments on High Performance RX Antennas for a Small Lot (Webinar)
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 09:59:34 -0500
The RDF seems to be the best we have at the moment, for taking a
3-dimensional pattern and turning it into a single number. Of course the
details of the 3-dimensional pattern are lost.

In addition to the quantitative RDF or S/N numbers, the qualitative change
in pattern as you move up the RDF is remarkable. We go from

* no directivity
* a null in back with not much differentiation between forward and side
* increasing side rejection
* near-complete side rejection
* increasing rejection of directions near forward but not quite forward

The 8-circle is mind-blowing.

Tim N3QE