Re: Topband: modeling BOGs (or whatever we call them)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: modeling BOGs (or whatever we call them)
From: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 11:00:00 -0500
I sent this message to K9LA, then it occurred to me that maybe I should sent it to the group also. So here it is.

I agree that BOGs are not well understood. What started this whole process of comparison of measured data to NEC predictions was the fact that with simulations I found a way of improving the front to back of a long BOG by 20 to 25 dB. Before I went proclaiming this "amazing" improvement, I wanted to know if it was real or not. I actually built it but could see no improvement, however I had other problems that may have masked what I was looking for. Next season I was planning a better version.

To gain some confidence in what NEC was telling me, I started making measurements and found some very unexpected results. Current values were way off, and with my simple dipole on the ground measurement I was unable to duplicate the resonant frequency using any and all ground parameters possible in NEC. The only conclusion possible seems to be that either I made some bad measurements or NEC is incapable of modeling my ground, whatever it is (which should be common Alabama red clay).

N6LF's test equipment is certainly better than mine and I was hoping for some data I could use for comparison purposes.

Another reason for all this analysis and measurements was to explain why most people say the best length for a BOG for 160 is between 200 and 250 ft. NEC says that a much longer BOG is much better. Is it? NEC says the pattern for a 250 ft BOG is identical to a K9AY. Some people have probably made that comparison, but I haven't.

Jerry