Re: Topband: folded umbrella for 160 meter

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: folded umbrella for 160 meter
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:10:09 -0400
Problem with the "folded umbrella" on 160 is that when the angle of declivity is to acute serious cancellation takes place. Also the feed of such an antenna is sometimes is very complex. I think this style of antenna has faded from popularity since the Marconi "T" is so much easier to construct. All you need is to 50-60 foot poles, preferably wooden or just trees 120 feet apart or more with a top wire of 120 feet fed exactly with a drop wire in the center. This is far easier to construct and relatively easy to feed. Aesthetically it look better and depending on the wire size it can be made to be practically invisible from a distance. As in either case a good ground system is very important.