Re: Topband: best headphones for cw

To: "'Top Band List List'" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: best headphones for cw
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 22:24:52 -0400
>"The KPA does have diodes, but I don't know why the KPA diodes seem to make it
>and others don't. Maybe not stressed as bad switching into an open load, which
>might be the real culprit that folks don't want to admit to."

The KPA500 has substantially less field operating time compared with the Alpha
86/89/87A series.   After checking this evening, apparently Elecraft doesn't
post schematics of their amplifier.  It would be an interesting exercise
comparing notes.   If anyone has a set, please send to me by PM.

Late-generation Alpha 87A amps have ~ 150VDC higher Rx bias  voltage to better
withstand high VSWR conditions.  In later QSK-5 devices, Ameritron doubled-up
on the number of Rx diodes and placed 1M equalizing resistors across them.
That's a reasonable way to restrict PIN diode voltage without spending a lot of
money on higher-priced parts -- although Rx loss may be slightly higher.

Possibly Elecraft mitigates lightning-induced voltages with a spark gap or
other similar device, but without a schematic, it's only speculation.   Given a
choice between vacuum relays, or dealing with potential PIN diode issues, I'll
still take a PIN structure every time.  OTOH, I respect folks who prefer not
opening their amps, and so a  T/R relay is best for them.

Guy made several excellent points concerning T/R relay mounting and the need to
completely shock-mount the relay, mounting material, and isolate all relay
wiring.  Thin silicone HV wire works well; even better if short loops are used
to add further isolation.

>"Anyway, back to the original post, I will recommend the Sony MDR-7506. "

Bose QC25 and Sony MDR-NC7 used here.  Both are a NC type.  The Sony headphones
work almost as well and at a fraction of the Bose price.

Paul, W9AC