Topband: Tower painting

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Tower painting
From: D Rodman MD <rodman@buffalo.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 16:05:09 -0400
I have another perspective on this. For those of you that are pilots, my QTH is on the ring of Class C airspace. Accordingly, many airplanes fly under the "shelf" so they do not have to talk to ATC, go to and leaving from airports that are near the Class C airspace. OK, but they should not be below 500'AGL. My towers are on the highest point in my town but below the 200' cell tower height down the road. While I do get the occasional rescue helicopter right over my property flying at 300-500' scud running in order to avoid IFR (that is 150-350' above the towers), I did have an occasion to have a C130 fly through my back yard at 200'. That scared the pants off me. I can only imagine what would be the outcome had something been struck by the military. The Air Force denied having any airplanes in the area during the incident by the way. Perhaps painting the towers is not such a bad idea?

--
David J Rodman MD
Assistant Clinical Professor

Office 716-857-8654