Re: Topband: Gamma Match Tower Question

To: Bill Hein <bill.aa7xt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Gamma Match Tower Question
From: Bruce Whitney via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:39:40 -0400
Bill,
I sure wish Tom W8JI was still participating on this reflector because he is a
true expert on many, many matters including this one. What a loss to all of us!
Anyway, it can make a big difference to the performance of a shunt fed tower to
have "other" conductors hanging on the outside of it and connected to it in an
unplanned way. You should look into the methods used to prevent tower resonance
documented in various places including the W8JI website. One of those methods
to "choke off" tower currents is to connect a conductor parallel to the tower
and connected to it that is designed to become a parallel  circuit and thus a
very high impedance at that frequency to RF current.
Without going into it in more detail, my advice from someone that has operated
a very effective omega matched tower on 160m for many years - is to reroute the
feed cables and other rotor control and any other conductors inside the tower
and make sure they are effectively grounded at the base of the tower. Then I
would experiment with your shunt wire length (tap point) and spacing from the
tower and check with a VNA for impedance readings that make sense for your
matching network. If things don't seem right or you suspect the feed lines up
the tower are having any significant effect, - which is unlikely - figure out
how to measure current in them and do some bonding to minimize it.
I'll send you a short PP I made a few years ago on my shunt tower system - off
list.
73, Bruce W8RA

Sent from my iPhone